Sensors for Border Security
Our sensor technology is a new class of product in the border security sensor market with 1nm shift resolution and an absolute position sensing capability. It permits the transfer of mechanical vibrations into detectable signal in a frequency range starting practically from quasi-static shifts.
The below figure demonstrated the architecture of our Border Security System. The system is modular and is capable to operate both with wired and wireless communication. The system consists of Sensor Units (SU) that are usually buried in the ground. The SUs register vibrations and transfer the raw data to the Signal Processing Unit (SPU), where the raw data is analysed and intruder movements are detected and classified. Information on detected movements are then transformed to the format that is acceptable by the client and sent to the client’s Command and Control Center (CCC).
The system performance characteristics of the PSI’s Border Security System are as follows:
- Superior Human Footstep detection range of 150 to 300 meters depending on the ground geological characteristics,
- 150 to 300 meters detection range for human footsteps
- 1,500 to 3000 meters detection range for SUV class vehicles
- Furnish an invisible Security Corridor Width of 300 to 600-meter-wide at the border that provides proactive and passive alert for the border guards with adequate reaction time to interdict the walking intruder
- Detects intruders in the underground tunnels as well as intruders on the surface of the ground,
- The sensor system is completely passive and non- line-of-sight detection that is buried underground without need of removal for annual maintenance,
- They are truly buried and forget for nearly a decade.
- Continuous Built-in-test reported at the CCC Monitor
- Wired or wireless communication system links transmit critical data to CCC.
- Capable of learning and generating customized intelligence and situational awareness for specific border segments. The first production deliverable model may not have all the various situational awareness available, since most situational awareness artificial intelligence is custom made and directly dependent on the border topography and specific border variables. But they can be applied with the system software modification without change of procured hardware.
- Capable to differentiate and classify human footsteps from other activities,
- Capable to differentiate the human footsteps from environmental seismic activities such as winds, movement of trees, rain, etc.
Capable of utilizing sensor’s extra wide bandwidth to provide situational awareness for the user utilizing frequency domain differentiation techniques. Hence reduce false alarms significantly at remote segments of the border.
The proposed system is successfully tested in Armenia, Singapore, Italy and USA.
Below are various detection range performance parameters for PSI’s 6th generation border security sensor:
|Detection range of hard footsteps
|Detection range of vehicles
|Detection range of heavy machines (tanks, etc.)
|more than 6 km
|Detection range of artillery
|more than 50 km
| Detection ranges for hard and soft drop tests:
Hard drop: 10 lbs (~ 4.5 kg) iron sphere from 1 m height
Soft drop: 10 lbs (~ 4.5 kg) sand bag from 1 m height
(Generating 44.5 joule in ground impulse)
| more than 250 m
more than 200 m